What Does Environmentally Friendly Paint Include?
Painting Company in Las Vegas Provides Environmentally Friendly Paint
When you decide to paint the interior or exterior of your home, you’ll need to decide what kind of paint will be suitable for your needs. A knowledgeable painting company in Las Vegas can provide you with a variety of options. One of them is environmentally friendly paint. What is it, however, and what are its benefits?
What Is Environmentally Friendly Paint?
Environmentally friendly paint, which is also known as “green” or “eco-friendly” paint, is paint that has a lower impact on the environment compared to traditional paints. Eco-friendly paint can include paint made with non-toxic, natural ingredients and paint with low or no volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Some environmentally friendly paint options also include recycled content, making them more sustainable than traditional paints. Experienced Vegas painters can discuss the types of environmentally friendly paints available.
Why Are Most Traditional Paints Toxic?
A 2002 study by the National Cancer Institute found that painters using traditional paint had a significantly higher risk of getting cancer. This is because most traditional paints contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs). VOCs are chemicals that can have negative health effects when inhaled. These VOCs are released into the air as the paint dries. They can cause a variety of health issues including headaches, nausea, and respiratory problems. What’s more, traditional paint can also be harmful to the environment because the VOCs can contribute to air pollution.
Another reason why most traditional paints are toxic is because of the heavy metals present in the paint. Lead and chromium are two of the most common heavy metals found in paint. These heavy metals can be particularly harmful if there are children or pregnant women in your home.
Paint also contains toxic fungicides and biocides. Fungicides prevent contamination from mold or mildew growth, while biocides help extend the paint’s shelf life. Unfortunately, these ingredients can be toxic. All exterior paints have biocides. However, look for zinc oxide instead of fungicide and look for low-biocide options. Finally, some of the pigments used in paints to color them are toxic chemicals as well.
What Should You Look for When Searching for Environmentally Friendly Paint?
When searching for environmentally friendly paint for the exterior of your home, there are several things you should look for, such as:
• Low or no VOCs. Look for paint that is labeled as having low or no VOCs. This means that the paint will emit fewer harmful chemicals into the air as it dries.
• Natural ingredients. Some environmentally friendly paints are made with natural ingredients such as clay, chalk, and plant-based oils. These ingredients are less harmful to the environment and can be less toxic than the ingredients used in traditional paint.
• Recycled content. Some paints are made with recycled content, making them more sustainable than traditional paints.
• Durability. Choose a paint that is durable and long-lasting, so you don’t have to repaint as often.
• UV-resistance. Choose a paint that has UV-resistance properties to protect your house from sun damage. Scorching hot weather in Las Vegas can reduce your paint’s lifespan, so talk with our residential painters to find out what type of paint works well in Las Vegas.
• Water-based. Water-based paint is generally considered more environmentally friendly than oil-based paint because it’s easier to clean up and less toxic to work with. However, this isn’t suited for all exteriors. A professional painting company in Las Vegas can explore this option with you.
• Energy efficiency. Many new paint technologies are designed to reflect more of the sun’s energy, helping to keep your home cooler in the summer and reducing your energy bills.
• Indoor air quality. Look for paint that does not contain formaldehyde, a chemical that is emitted from paint fumes. It also contributes to poor indoor air quality.
• Water-based. Water-based paint is generally considered more environmentally friendly than oil-based paint because it’s easier to clean up and less toxic to work with.
• Low odor. Choose paint that has low or no odor as this will be less disruptive to your living space and also will be less harmful to your health and the health of your family.
• Easy to clean. Choose a paint that is easy to clean and maintain, so you don’t have to use harsh chemicals to remove stains or marks.
When you’re looking for house painters in Las Vegas, look for painters that can provide you with an array of environmentally friendly paint options for both your exterior and interior needs.
What Kinds of Environmentally Friendly Paint Are Available?
There are several types of environmentally friendly paint available, and a Las Vegas painter can help you decide which is best for your home. The types of environmentally friendly paint include:
• Low or no VOC paints. These paints emit fewer harmful chemicals into the air as they dry. As a result, they are safer for indoor use.
• Natural paints. These paints are made with natural ingredients such as clay, chalk, and plant-based oils. They are less harmful to the environment and can be less toxic than ingredients found in traditional paints.
• Water-based paints. These paints are made with water as the primary solvent rather than with chemical solvents. As a result, they are less toxic and are easier to clean up than oil-based paints.
• Lime paints. Lime paint is made from a mix of lime, water, and pigments. This is a natural paint with low VOC and high breathability. This type of paint is best used in old buildings as it allows walls to breathe. Lime paints are also very durable.
• Milk paints. Milk paint is made from milk protein, pigments, and lime. It’s a non-toxic and natural paint with a velvety finish.
• Clay paints. Clay paint is made from natural clay, pigments, and water. It’s a natural paint with high breathability and low VOC.
• Zero-VOC paints. Zero-VOC paints are paints that contain no VOCs, making them a safer option for indoor use and better for the environment.
What Are the Benefits of Environmentally Friendly Paint?
There are quite a few benefits when you use environmentally friendly paint. Some of the benefits are as follows.
Improved Indoor Air Quality
Environmentally friendly paints emit fewer harmful chemicals into the air, which can improve indoor air quality and reduce the risk of health problems such as headaches, allergic reactions, and respiratory problems.
Reduced Environmental Impact
Environmentally friendly paints are made with less harmful ingredients and are often produced using more sustainable methods. This can help reduce the overall environmental impact of the paint industry.
Environmentally friendly paints may last longer and may need fewer coats. This can save you money on repainting and labor costs in the long run.
Easy to Clean
Many environmentally friendly paints are easy to clean and maintain, so you don’t have to use harsh chemicals to remove stains or marks that accumulate over the years.
Using environmentally friendly paint is a small step you can take to contribute to a sustainable and eco-friendly environment. It’s a choice that can have a positive impact.
Variety of Colors
Many environmentally friendly paints are available in a wide range of colors, finishes, and textures. The wide choice lets you choose the one that best fits your preferences while still being environmentally friendly.
Contact an Experienced Painting Company in Las Vegas
Finding a professional residential painter for your home is important. You want the job done right and you want paints that won’t harm you or your family members. When you need house painters in Las Vegas, make sure that you find a company that provides both residential and commercial painting services.